Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

Driving Again

So i finally got the nerve to drive all the way from Bonifacio Global City to Pasay where star city is located. It's Abby's birthday today and last week was Aj's and tomorrow my parents and sister will go back home to Iligan, i figured they needed to see some of manila's landmarks. The kids especially have been wanting to go back to star city for the longest time. My parents haven't been there also. It was supposed to be yesterday but i had a terrible headache that lasted for as long as i was lying in bed. It wouldn't do. When i work, they just stay at home. Not that they were complaining.

So i prayed and read the map over and over again searching for the most direct route. One thing gets validated: what you can conceive, you can achieve. In my case, with a lot of time pouring over manila street maps and a lot of prayers. I guess, it's no big deal for most of you. I lived in iligan for most of my life and although i live here for more than 2 years now, i still am a probinsyana at heart. I have not been driving in a long time like probably 3 years since I was behind the wheel and never in the big city. I have my share of vehicular mishap stories to tell one of which involved destroying my mama's face. So getting behind the wheel and driving again takes so much courage from me. Extending that to driving around metro manila's busiest like Edsa,C5, Gil Puyat,sidestreets full of tricycles and cities with flyovers,underpasses, uturns and traffic well it raises the anxiety to a much higher level. But as with everything else, with practice and lots of prayer, resolve and determination, one finds the task easier and less daunting.

So anyway, with my family in tow i took the gil puyat and reached star city with only one stop and that is only for gas and my tires checked. Somehow, i already knew that star city opens at 2pm so again i braved diosdado macapagal highway and went to mall of asia to have lunch. Actually, i first did a drive around just to get an idea where to park. Also for my return route, i chose edsa cause again its the most direct.

It is kind of exhilarating when one conquer one's fear. Or getting out of one's comfort zone. For one thing, it builds confidence. I admit i am not the most confident of person. Nor ambitious. I think that there is something about ambition that keeps a person struggle to prove so much, takes on lots of challenges, forever staying out of comfort zones just to achieve and the process in turn gives him or her so much confidence and self-belief.

So, i am driving again.

1 comment: